I recently discovered jicama tortillas for my gluten-free and grain-free clients! They are delicious and naturally low carb, gluten-free, paleo and healthy.
A jicama tortilla is made from sliced jicama. If you haven’t tried jicama before, it looks similar to a potato but is sweeter and much lower in carbs. They can be eaten raw, steamed or fried with a little oil in a skillet. You can also simply heat them in the microwave to make them soft and warm.
When using jicama slices to make tacos, you get a grain-free alternative to flour or corn tortillas. Plus, they add a unique flavor that enhances the jicama taco.
Jicama is naturally low in fat and loaded with potassium. Jicama’s rich in complex carbohydrates and an excellent source of fiber. In one cup, you’ll get almost 7 grams of fiber — nearly ¼ of the official recommended minimum intake for the day.
One medium-sized jicama has:
- 250 calories
- 32 grams of fiber
- 12 grams of sugar
- 4 grams of protein
- 15%-19% of your daily recommended vitamin C
Try these recipes:
Sliced cooked chicken breast
One wedge avocado
Salt & pepper
- Microwave tortilla for about 20 seconds.
- Dab with paper towel to remove excess moisture.
- Add thin slice of cooked chicken to one side.
- Add avocado wedge. Salt & pepper to taste.
Hummus & Red Pepper Taco
2 Tbsp. hummus
1 Tbsp. chopped red pepper
A squeeze of fresh lemon juice
- Microwave tortilla for 20 seconds
- Dab to remove excess moisture.
- Mix together the red pepper and hummus.
- Spoon onto one half of the tortilla.
- Add squeeze of lemon juice onto the mixture.
- Fold over and enjoy!
Contact Health By Gini for more delicious recipes and meal planning ideas!